The Atlanta Fly Fishing Show 2023

 

Gas South District Duluth GA February 3rd-5th, 2023


It has been roughly twenty-one years since my last attendance at a major fly-fishing show. Shows were something "Sam" always looked forward to being a part of when health allowed him to be there. The fellowship of fly fisherman and fly tiers from all around the world made my father giddy with excitement. A childlike glow of anticipation could be seen even weeks before the shows as he prepared for his next opportunity to share the Sam's One Bug and the L-EYE-BEE. 


After dad passed away in 2005, I may have attended a few fly fishing show or FFF Southeastern Council event, but not as a fly tier or artist. Something in me just could not bring myself to sit down and tie in front of crowds without getting very emotional. My first event as a featured Fly Tier was March of 2022, at the Cahaba Brewery in Birmingham, AL. I was asked to be a part of a larger group to help raise funds and awareness for the Coosa Riverkeepers and the Native Fish Coalition of Alabama. This show was my first time setting up my own table at a fly fishing event without my dad. To be completely transparent, I was a little nervous. I had no idea what to expect or if anyone would have any interest in the Sam's One Bug. To my surprise the event was so busy, I didn't even have time to watch the film festival. People were so kind and the support of my father's creation was overwhelming. I met so many people I had only spoken to through social media. It was great to be back in the mix and surrounded with other amazing artists, fly tiers, and guides.

 

Fast forward to February 2023. I was invited to be a Fly Tier at the Atlanta Fly Fishing Expo.

I like to think Dad would be proud or at least happy I was attending. I spent months prepping for this show and still didn't know what to expect. Record attendance for The Fly Fishing Show was set Saturday February 4th in Atlanta, GA. I estimated giving away almost four hundred flies during the entire weekend. Thanks to so many who helped me prepare. Ahrex Hooks, Riverside Fly Shop, and my Family. A lot of people couldn't believe I was giving away flies freely. I even had another person at the show say, "it's difficult to sell flies when the guy sitting down from me is giving them away!" As I have mentioned before, I don't recall dad ever selling a single fly. He would use them to barter for privileged access to fishing holes, strike up a conversation about the sport he loved so dearly, or use them to get discounts on fly fishing equipment. So, I have chosen to keep that tradition going. It's one way I can pass along my father's name while sharing the most important story ever told. 

 




One of the popular Sam's One Bugs tied on the Ahrex NS122 Light Stinger Hook in Sz. 6.

 

I had a great time asking "children" of all ages, "What is your favorite color?". Being able to hand them a custom made Sam's One Bug of that color, with a business card, sticker, and the story of THE perfect gift was an amazing experience.  When you think about the context, we are all children. Excited to be included in an event that is really a community of something bigger.  No matter our age, we all enjoy a free gift, we enjoy a good party, we enjoy fellowship with like-minded people, we enjoy meeting new people, or bonding over common experiences around food and fellowship. It's all very similar to the most important story ever told.

 

You see... we have THE greatest gift ever given to mankind available for anyone who will receive it. God sent His perfect son Jesus Christ to die for the sins of man. Jesus came to earth as a man but also fully God. He lived a prefect life without sin. Even though he was tempted, he fulfilled His work. Jesus performed many miracles seen by multitudes. He claimed to be God and was beaten, bruised, lacerated by shards of bone and metal in a whip, crowned with thorns pushing into his skull, mocked, spat on, and finally killed for his claims. Knowing that He was doing the will of His Father in Heaven. Taking on death and providing a perfect sacrifice for the sins of the world by dying on a cross. He said it is finished and gave up his spirit. The earth shook violently the Bible says and the curtain to the most Holies in the Temple was torn from the top to the bottom. The skies were darkened. Christ was separated from His father for the first time. But the punishment and wrath of God was placed on him and accepted as payment. His bones as foretold were not broken, he was removed from the cross and was buried in a sealed tomb guarded by Roman soldiers. On the third day as he prophesied, he was resurrected.  He was seen by many including the disciples, and soon ascended into Heaven. He is seated at the right hand of the Father and will come again one day to judge the living and the dead. On that day, every knee will bow. Oh the joy of knowing our Lord and Savior and what He has accomplished for us to have a relationship with the Father.  The grace that was given to me from my Lord and Savior was a freely given gift. There is nothing I could have done on my own to receive His mercy. Christ has completed it all. It is what sets Christianity apart from every other religion in the world. There is nothing we can DO to be saved, it has already been DONE. We are saved by our faith, not by our works. It is the saving grace of our faith and the belief in Jesus Christ for who he claimed to be.  He saved my soul from eternal death. Just as John 3:16 says in the Bible.  

For God so loved the world, that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.  

 

Several people commented on the card I was handing out at the fly show, but I fear few truly understand the gift they have been given.  I pray that people will take the time to discover for themselves what the Bible says about Jesus and the relationship He desires with each of us. If I can answer any questions I will be glad to attempt to do so. If I can't, well...we will seek the truth of God's word together.

 


I was grateful for the opportunity to spend time with so many people at the show in Atlanta. The talents of other artists, tiers, and fly-fisherman humbled me. Thank you for the friendships made and those who supported me at the show. I am looking forward to the many stories to come and more flies to be tied.

 




Thank you for reading this blog and your interest in Sam’s One Bug.

Wade's Tier Bio for the Atlanta Show included below:


Wade Blevins, Decatur, Alabama

Wade Blevins is a native of Huntsville, Alabama and grew up exploring the mountains and rivers of the Tennessee Valley and surrounding states. His father, Craig “Sam” Blevins, introduced him to fly fishing at an early age. Wade quickly became an accomplished angler and fly tier. In 1980, his family joined the Tennessee Valley Fly Fishers, a southern council affiliated club of the Federation of Fly Fishers. They traveled to dozens of conclaves where Sam would tie flies as a demonstrator. In the mid 1990’s, Wade opened and managed Fins and Feathers, a full Orvis authorized fly shop in Huntsville, Alabama. During that time, he taught beginning, intermediate, and advanced classes on fly tying and fly fishing. Wade has a passion for warm-water fishing for smallmouth bass and panfish. With a little over forty-five years of experience, he is carrying on his father’s legacy of tying flies and encouraging others to learn about this beloved sport. He was a guest on The Storied Outdoors, and The Dad’s on the Fly podcasts where he shares his story about the Sam’s One Bug and THE greatest gift ever given. He and his wife, Cathy, live in Decatur, AL and have four children. 


Please check out The Storied Outdoors at the following link: 

https://www.thestoriedoutdoors.com/interviews/season-5-lost-and-found-the-story-of-two-lost-lures

The Sam's One Bug Story podcast on The Storied Outdoors can be found here:

https://www.thestoriedoutdoors.com/interviews/j9r4ll2j5uvczrkccrqpkxw8vvmk9d


The Dad's on the Fly Podcast can be found here:

https://www.dadsonthefly.com/55-interview-with-wade-blevins-and-the-story-of-the-sams-one-bug-growing-up-in-a-fly-fishing-family-warm-water-fly-fishing-creating-one-of-the-most-versatile-flies-the-sams-one-bug/

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Memories of Sam

Craig "Sam" Blevins aka Dad